Thursday 6 October 2011

'Oil Under Sherwood Forest' Booklet

Yesterday another 100 copies of this booklet arrived from 4Edge 
who I find most satisfactory printers.
This booklet came about after I went for a walk in Duke's Wood in Nottinghamshire, which is situated in the village of Eakring, not far from Southwell.  I was puzzled that as I strolled through this 20 acre site I was sure, through the undergrowth, I could see what appeared to be the base of a large statue - certainly not something I was expecting!

On reaching the end of the path I saw a large glade, and sure enough at the end stood this impressive, large statue.  My first reaction was that it must commemorate some plane that had crashed during the war, but on approaching I saw that in fact the man was holding an out-sized monkey wrench!


What puzzxled me even more was the inscription on the base which stated that it was a memoral to the 12,000 local people and the group of Americans who had extracted oil from this site during WWII.
By now I was seriously puzzled, and contacted the local newspaper for more information.  They advised I put a letter into the paper, and for months afterwards I was visiting marvellous, generous people who were telling me the most amazing stories about this incredible time.
Several directed me to this book, which I found in the local Reference Library.

I could well understand that at the time it was of the upmost importance that the site, and the activity within it, had to be kept absolutely secret, or of course it would have been destroyed by the Luftwaffe, but what has always puzzled me is the fact that even today so few knew the amazing story of how Nottinghamshire oil contributed so much to the war effort.

Consequently I wrote a 49-page booklet, which both retells this incredible story but also brings it up-to-date.

To find out more just click here

No comments:

Post a Comment