Tuesday 4 October 2011

'Saving Thoresby Hall' booklet

Yesterday I went into Derbyshire to collect another thousand booklets. I use County books
and have been well pleased with the service I've received.
The present Thoresby Hall is the third in this vicinity and was built between 1865-75 by Sydney, 3rd Earl Manvers and his half-French countess, Georgine.  The architect was Anthony Salvin.
However, this lovely building has had a most chequered history, and by the late 1990's it was on the English Heritage's 'At Risk' register, and was probably within six months of collapsing completely.
Very fortunately Warner's Holidays Ltd bought it and I just telephoned and spoke to the General Manager and said I thought visitors would be interesting in learning about the transformation of the place.  To my considerable delight he immediately invited me over - the only restriction being that I had to be prepared to wear a hard hat!
For nearly a year I visited regularly - a most wonderful experience.  Probably the most interesting was meeting the team from Herbert Read who had just finished restoration work at Windsor Castle following the devasting fire.
 The result was a 24 page booklet, heavily illustrated with before and after pictures. This can be purchased by clicking here

No comments:

Post a Comment